[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tanny in alliance with Satan

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 9:47 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  danz_da_man-at-hotmail-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Tanny in alliance with Satan

Dan,
Only half of the transformer is in alliance with Satan, so there is still
hope. First off, you can run the tranny using just the good side and the
grounded case connection. The grounded case side should go straight
to one side of the spark gap and then to the inside turn of the
primary coil. That way it will have the lowest possible voltage
differential between it and the Base of the secondary (which we assume
will be connected to a good RF ground). The good HV side would go to
the other side of the spark gap, and then to the cap, and the other side
of the cap to the tap on the primary. This arrangement is the safest when
using just 1/2 of a neon sign transformer.

OK, but then again you might be able to get your hands on another half
good tranny. Bolt the cases together. Use the good HV output from each.
You may have to play with the parallel phasing of the primaries to
get the outputs properly phased. (You want the arc drawn between the
HV outputs to be the largest you can draw).

You can try exorcising the nasty demon within the tranny by heating
up the tranny to the point where the tar inside becomes liquid. Then
you carefully rock the tranny violently back and forth for about a
minute in a frantic attempt to re-distribute the infernal tar. If
your problem was a carbon track, you just might be lucky and the
carbon track will be gone.

If THAT doesn't work, then you need a full-blown exorcism. You will
have to open the tranny up and remove as much of the tar as possible.
You can use the Gary Weaver Boil 'Em In Oil technique, or the more
common Soak It In Kerosene method to remove the tar. It is useful
to re-test the unit after tar removal. If your problem was carbon
tracking, it may now be gone and you only have to re-pot. Some
have repotted using vaseline or immersion in oil... and some have
fired their units up DRY. Make your choice and take your chance!

If the problem is still present, then you can sometimes rebuild
two units and come up with one complete unit that works. But
it is very messy work. See the RQ files in the archives for
info on a cold/hot method of tar removal.

Best bet is to visit the local sign shops and beg for another unit.
The time will be much better spent going THIS route than any other!

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee