[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High Voltage Resistors

----------
From:  David [SMTP:davmckin-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 1:45 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  Correction-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com; to-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com; my-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com; e-mail-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
Subject:  Re: High Voltage Resistors

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

using available resistors (usually > in the 10's k-ohm range)

This should read in the 10's MEG-Ohm range.  For example to
measure 50 kV one would need approximately 10.0 inches using
10 kV/in. (100 kV / 10 kV/inch = 10 in.).  Normal high voltage
design would be to use 4-1/2 inches of resistors (50 kV x 1.25/
15kV/in. = 4.17 in. rounded to 4-1/2 inches.  But for high
transient conditions in tesla coils, I would recommend being much
more conservative.  Also, plese note that these values are for
oil immersed usage only!

To read 50 kV on a 50 uA movement meter use a total of 500 Meg-Ohm.
This gives us 20 resistors x 25 Meg Ohm each.  Using I^2 R gives
us 5 Watts total for the divider / 20 resistors = 1/4 watt ea.
This will yield a current of 100 uA through the voltage divider.
Then using a meter with calibration resistor shunts, one can
establish 50 uA movement at 50 kV.  One thing to point out is
that instead of a 100 uA movement meter being used, a 50 uA
movement was used - this is for calibration purposes.

Hopefully, this will be of use to the group.