[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage/Length -> reactive losses

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, February 01, 1998 4:44 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Voltage/Length -> reactive losses

John,
      I trust this enquiry was made tongue-in-cheek?

As you well know, a pure reactance does not lose power. That is a far
cry from saying that "all power is transferred from primary to
secondary because the transfer is by reactive mechanisms"!!

Q - is there a current flowing in the primary wiring while the
    magnetic field it is producing is changing?
A - Yes.

Q - So there is an I^2.R loss associated with the primary wiring
    during this period?
A - Yes.

Q - is there an induced current in the secondary wiring during this
    period?
A - Yes.

Q - is there an I^2.R loss associated with the secondary wiring
    during this period?
A - Yes.

Q - is the primary coupled to nothing other than the secondary?
A - No.

Q - Can you prove this?
A - Yes. I can detect currents flowing in other conductors in
    proximity to the system. I can also detect E-fields using a
    meagre scope probe positioned many feet away. My neighbours don't
    like it either.

Q - So power is being lost *during* the pri-sec transfer?
A - Yes.

Q - So does all primary power reach the secondary?
A - No.

QED.
Malcolm