[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

need some help here!

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, January 31, 1998 4:01 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: need some help here!

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Greg,

You may have a problem locating a 12KV 30MA trannie that will fit into
the footprint of the original transformer. Also, increasing the
transformer voltage will probably require you to change the tank cap to
a higher voltage unit so that you won't destroy it as well.

The approximate maximum size tank capacitance that can be driven off a
neon transformer is a function of the transformer's voltage, current.
and line frequency. This is found by calculating the output impedance of
the trasnformer, and then setting this equal to the capacitive reactance
of the tank cap at line frequency. For example, if you have a 6000 volt
20 mA trannie, it's estimated output impedance would be:

   Z = E/I = 6000/0.020 = 300,000 Ohms (mostly inductive)

We now want to find the capacitance that has this amount of capacitive
reactance at line frequency. Let's assume line frequency (F) is 60 Hz.
We want to set Xc = Z (above).

   Xc = 1/(2*Pi*F*C) = 300,000 Ohms (capacitive)
      = 1/(377*C)

Solving for C (in pF):

   C = 10^12/(377*300000) = 8842 pF

Knowing E (volts), I (mA), and F (Hz), we can show this in one simple
equation:

   C = 159.2*I/(F*E)    uF
 or
   C = 1.592e^8*I/F*E)  pF

Now for 6000 V, 30 mA or 12000 V, 30 MA transformers:

                      Approx. Tank C:
             (mA)    (50 Hz)   (60 Hz)
     Volts  Current  C (pF)    C (pF)
     6000     30     15900     13260