[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

mic trannie idea? Am I crazy or might this work?

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 25, 1998 1:34 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  mic trannie idea?  Am I crazy or might this work?

"> Would this small number of turns be enough to energize the core, and if
> so, could one overcome the tendency of the higher voltages to arc to the
> core?

No problem there. In fact the magnetizing current will easily be high
enough to saturate the core and blow the mains fuse. You could try
incrementally reducing it but I don't think there'd be much leeway.
After all, it was designed in the first place.

Malcolm"

	Remember that transformer iron (steel) is heavy and
expensive.  Manufacturers don't use any more than they have to!

Ed