[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gaps

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, February 20, 1998 12:27 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Spark gaps

<<                 ||||
 Using this setup I can only get a spark 2mm long and it sounds like a swarm
 of bees. The spark is all purple like  it is giving off ultraviolet. I have
 been told a spark gap works better with an airflow going through it so I put
 about 75 psi through it and the spark turned white and hissed like a snake
 though I could still only get continous sparks at 2mm with short bursts at
 3mm. Why can I get a 1cm spark from the terminals of the xfrmr yet using my
 gap I can only get 2mm spark. Will this change when I finish my coil and
 there is a capacitor in place? Also, I was told that you can change the
 frequency of a primary by changing the distance of the spark gap because the
 capacitor discharges faster. Is this true?

 Justin Oliver

Justin,

With a 10kv 10ma transformer, you will not need an air blast gap.  Use a
series of four or five small gaps (maybe .010" each) and start with all in the
circuit.  If it does not fire reliably short out one gap at a time until it
does.  Operating the gap with no primary and no capacitor will tell you
nothing.  The frequency of the primary is determined by the primary inductance
and the tank capacitor.  The gap setting does not affect the frequency.

Ed Sonderman