[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BIG Capacitors (don't use electrolytics)

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, February 20, 1998 10:39 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: BIG Capacitors (don't use electrolytics)

> ----------

A can crusher application (or a similar underdamped discharge) will put a
significant reverse voltage on the storage capacitor. If the caps are
electrolytic, they'll be destroyed in short order.  Several years ago, I
built a massive electrolytic cap bank as a brute force filter for a 300
Volt DC power supply running the caps in parallel (30 caps at 15-20
thousand uF each, as I recall). Indeed, the discharge is impressive, but
after a few dozen shots demonstrating this phenomenon to my friends , I
noticed that the caps were failing: the leakage current started rising, and
one of the caps developed a suspcious bulge and got pretty hot.  This was
before I learned about the practicalities of voltage reversal, etc.