[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How do I make my HV chokes?

----------
From:  Greg Leyh [SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, February 19, 1998 4:25 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: How do I make my HV chokes?

Gary Lau wrote:

> I have seen advice advocating L-and/or-R-only protection networks posted
> to this list many times but have not seen any rationale for using these
> configurations beyond anecdotal "I've been using this and had no failures
> yet".  Can anyone defend series-only protection networks in a more
> analytical manor?

Although the NST HV winding does have a large L,
it also has a significant parasitic shunt capacitance,
on the order of hundreds of picofarads.
Perhaps these series LR schemes work against this
shunt capacitance to form an LC low-pass.  The R
may be needed to keep the filter from self-resonating
if the NST's self-C is not lossy enough.

On my coils I employ a L-diode filter, so that
self-resonance in the filter is not an issue.
The L-diode filter also provides significantly
higher RF rejection than a standard L-C filter.

-GL