[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

----------
From:  Mike Harrison [SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Sent:  Thursday, February 19, 1998 12:11 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:47:18 -0600, you wrote:

>----------

A couple of thoughts on increasing inductance....
If the voltage per turn is relatively low at the bottom, why not put a
partial overwind at the bottom, as the layer-to-layer voltage won't be
very high at this point, or have I got it all wrong?  - my
understanding of transmission lines and resonators is pretty minimal!
     ________
    (__   ___)
      o|  |o--winding start
      o|  |o
      o|  |o
    o|o|  |o|o--end
    o|o|  |o|o
    o|o|__|o|o
     ^      ^ insulating layer

Imagine starting the winding at the top, wind to the bottom, add an
insulating layer, then continue winding back towards the top in the
same winding direction for some small-ish fraction of the length.
You could obviously extend this to add more than one extra layer at
the bottom.

Another thought - it is possible to imagine a multi-layer coil layered
the 'other way', effectively a stack of concentric spirals going
alternately in and out, e.g. for 3 layers,the turn numbers being
something like :

   | |
987| |789
456| |654
321|_|123

It would however require a lot of ingenuity to figure out how to
actually wind such a beast - any takers?
Keeping the spirals going the same way on each layer (i.e. always
outward) would be easier to wind, but less neat due to the 'flyback'
of the wire back towards the centre on each spiral, reducing the
number of total turns possible.

   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/