[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pancake Primary (fwd)

----------
From:  Jim Buck [SMTP:jimbuck1-at-bellsouth-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 18, 1998 5:31 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Pancake Primary (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

I have built a few coils where I made the primary with 1/4" tubing.
Before I made the supports I wound the primary in a loose helix using
1/4" spacers between the turns.   I then ran the coil at low power and
unwound the helix turn by turn until the corona stopped.  When I found
the shape I built my forms 1" larger diameter at the same angle.  I'm
not sure how well the corona compares to the magnetic coupling but the
coils seem to be coupled efficiently (raising the secondaries doesn't
increase the output much).  A 6" secondary with 20 awg wire turned out
to be 30 deg.  My 4" with 24 awg wire worked out to around 50 deg.  My
little 3"/30 awg secondary needed an almost flat spiral; it is about 75
deg.

Jim Buck