[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A tragic coil

----------
From:  John MacDonald [SMTP:jmac-at-silverlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 17, 1998 6:51 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: A tragic coil

I am really new to this, but I think I have some suggestions.

> From:  MARK [SMTP:moyson-at-tig-dot-com.au]

> Powered by a car battery and ignition coil about 10Kv output.
> A static spark gap in series with the primary of 7 turns (.5 inch
> spacing between turns) of uninsulated copper wire .8mm diameter

>From what I hear over and over. Spark gap in parallel with the
transformer, cap in series after the spark gap.

|--|--[%]-\
|  :      \
|--|------\

where : is the spark gap, and [%] is the capacitor. "\" primary.

> A capacitor 630v .01uf in parallel with primary behind the spark gap (next
> to coil)

630v ?!? 10kV output toa 630V cap? Could be wrong, but wouldn't an
impulse like that blow a cap? Probably need to go with about a 20kV
capacitor. It should stay cooler if problems arise.

<snip>

My best guess is that these are the problems. Especially the capacitor
voltage rating.

Thanks for hearing me out ;-)

--
JMac