[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:08:54 -0500
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Cc: lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)
> Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 11:15 PM

NST's?

> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA

Gary,
Steal an idea from the pole pig crowd. Add a series inductance with the
the NST primary. Several coilers have had reasonable success using
microwave transformers. You disconnect the secondary wire that goes to the
core, and connect the two secondary wires together. Dead short, but this is
a current limited transformer, so it takes the abuse. You may have to use
more than one microwave transformer. You connect the primaries in series with
the NST primary. You might want to add a resistance in parallel with the
microwave primaries to smooth things out a bit. You will have to
experiment, but that is where half the fun is anyhow :)

The added inductance should 'spoil' the 60Hz resonance effects enough to
help your NST survive longer.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee