[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"The Mighty Corona Cone"

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 6:39 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: "The Mighty Corona Cone"

Hi Steve:

Your secondary dimensions are close to my unit that is 15" dia. x 56".  I
use a 10 1/2" x 56" toroid whose centerline is 12" above the top turn of the
secondary.  I have not seen any discharge in the top turns at all--so far!
I would suggest that you may need to make a larger toroid, if your system
has the power to handle something like 40"-60" in diameter.  The larger
toroid will provide better shielding for the top turns and should reduce
breakout around the top turns I believe.  It would  help to have more detail
on your coil design--maybe I already missed that?  I ran through several
checks on the resonance of your secondary bare and with toroid similar to
yours.  I would "estimate (guess)" that the toroid provides an additional 18
pf which would suggest that your secondaries resonant point of 134 Khz would
drop to around 101 Khz--I'm curious why you indicated yours is 119 Khz with
toroid, pretty big difference.  A little more system detail instead of my
guessing would make for better feedback.  Did you run the wire from your
secondary all the way up and connect it to the toroid??  Don't mean to
offend you, but I gotta ask.  Hope this is worked out quickly for you,
sounds like a real nice coil.

Chuck