[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

0.5*C*V*V vaild? (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Length)

From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, February 07, 1998 1:24 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 0.5*C*V*V vaild?  (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Length)

to: Antonio Carlos

We use a pickup probe consisting of a 14 dia. old VDGRF sphere.  This
sphere is grounded to the coax shield.  A small copper patch approx 3 x 3
inches is glued to a piece of mylar which is glued to the grounded sphere.
The copper patch is connected to the center of the coax.  The copper piece
is in effect insulated from the sphere and forms a capacitor.  This results
in a neat capacitive pickup probe that is then connected to a 10 microAmp
DC meter.  The other end of the meter is grounded.  Meter is protected from
excessive potential by connecting three 1N4007's in series and
anti-parallel across the meter.  The probe is placed near the coil usually
at twice the normal striking distance of the discharge spark.  The meter
will then indicate an exact tuning for the coil as the primary tap is
adjusted.  More current on the meter equals more spark discharge and this
is very helpful especially when adjusting large coil systems such as Greg
L. is constructing.  We use both a 10 uA and 50 uA meter depending on how
large/small the system is.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

H/D
> > configurations to examine the voltage rise in these rather heavily
damped
> > coil systems.
>
> LEDs connected in series with the coil would measure current, as the
voltage over a
> conducting LED is practically constant. LEDs connected in parallel with
the coil
> sections, with series resistors, would measure voltages. What connection
are
> you using? (The readings would be proportional, anyway.)
>
> > 1.  The voltage distribution goes from a minimum at the base to a
maximum at
> > the top when tuned to the quarter wavelength of the coil system, even
in a
> > damped coil system.
>
> This looks strange. I would expect more voltage at the base, where the
coupling
> is higher, or almost constant voltage along all the coil sections, that
is what
> the lumped model predicts. Is this coil a capacitor-discharge coil or a
CW coil?