[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

capcitor energy vs pwr factor

----------
From:  bmack [SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, February 06, 1998 9:56 PM
To:  tesla list
Subject:  capcitor energy vs pwr factor

Hello All,

Having never built a gap (rotory or otherwise) coil, I was wondering about
the
various methodologies prescribed for the primary capacitor calculation.

Some say that E/I is the inductive reactance of the secondary and that
matching this with capacitive reactance -at-60 HZ produces resonance.

Wouldn't the resonance  actually be due to the sum of the transformer
secondary leakage reactance and the series choke?  The transformer
presents an in phase and therefore resistive component to the model which
limits Q. Right?

Others say that the current is cosine with sine voltage and the T/4
instantaneous
energy is the integral of these function's product.  If this is the case,
the absorbed power is    absolutely dismal compared to an "in phase
system".  Considering some
of the impresive results obtained from NST gap coils by memebers of this
list, it seems to me that the actual case has to be better than a 90 degree
power factor.

Thus I propose that we consider the secondary resistive, which yeilds a
45 degree phase angle when the capacitive reactance is equal to the
E/I "resistance" and this approaches zero as the leakage and choke
reactances are considered.

So , once the phase angle is obtained, the peak energy boils down to
E*I *cos(theta)
-----------------------
120

Since this approaches the full power rating of the transformer as theta
approaches zero, we have the reasoning behind Tesla's simple division
of the power by bps for peak energy in the CSN. Although I question the
validity of this for anything over 120 bps for a 60 HZ input. But then
again,
who the hell am I to question Tesla?

Comments?

Thanks in advance