[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnify Power?

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, February 07, 1998 1:52 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnify Power?

  Gomez -

  You are right. Terms for Tesla coils should be agreed upon.

  I agree that using the space shuttle as an example was a poor choice.
However, I was trying to show that power magnification can also occur in
mechanical systems. For example if the power magnification is insufficient
to lift the shuttle increasing the size of fuel tank (increasing the energy)
will not help to solve the power problem. Power is not energy.

  I agree electrical power is volts x amps. However, in the Tesla coil
secondary when power is increased it is usually the voltage and the current
is not important.

  To me power magnification in a Tesla coil means that the voltage is
increased but not the current. A large voltage increase is necessary to make
those big sparks.

  Pulse forming network in the TC secondary that stores energy etc. There is
energy storage in both the pri and sec circuits. The important energy
storage is in the charging of the pri cap under RMS conditions. Next are the
RF dampened waves (not RMS conditions) that occur when the pri cap
discharges into the pri coil. These RF waves are then transferred to the sec
coil by induction at much higher voltages (not resonance?).

  I do not agree that average power must always be lower due to losses.
Losses are always energy and power equals energy/dt. In other words it is
possible to have a gain of power (reduction of dt) in a TC even when there
are losses of energy.

  Conservation of energy per unit time? Are you saying that power/time
equals what?

  Note, I am not arguing or criticizing, only trying to find a common ground
for TC terms. For example. are power losses proper terminology?

  John Couture