[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Is 0.5*C*V*V vaild? (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Length)

----------
From:  HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 05, 1998 4:54 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Is 0.5*C*V*V vaild?  (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Length)

        2
.5CV     applies to the energy stored in the torroid of the tesla coil. The
whole idea of a 1/4 wave coil is to have the maximum amount of energy
transferred from pri. to sec. to the capacitor on top of the coil (torroid)
and then to have the energy released as a large arc. C has to be small enough
that V will get big enough to "break out" But to get the best effect, C has to
be big enough that V doesn't get high enough to cause "break out" before most
of the system's energy has been transferred to the torriod. At this time of
the first breakout the torroid has reached the highest voltage that it will
ever attain. All subsequent breakouts will occur at lower voltages because
"break out" occurs more easily {lower voltage} when there is ionized air
around the torroid. The further "break outs" extend the length of the spark
faster than the eye can see to give it the spectacular look that we all strive
to attain, but this extended length has NOTHING to do with how much voltage
created the spark. As the old saying goes "its all in the timing".  I hope I
got this right.

jim heagy