[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

130kW Coil -- Oh No!

----------
From:  Wysock, William C. [SMTP:Wysock-at-courier8.aero-dot-org]
Sent:  Friday, February 06, 1998 8:34 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  ttr
Subject:  RE: 130kW Coil -- Oh No!

John, All,

The manner and technique I use to measure reflected power
on large Tesla coil systems is as follows.  I measure actual
wattage, amperage, and voltage at several key points in the
controller's circuitry.  Since a switchboard type kilowatt meter
requires both a potential transformer and a current transformer,
its reading is based on the relationship of  the current phase
angle with respect to the voltage phase angle, in that part of
the circuit to which it is connected.  Doing this, at the a.c. mains
as well as across the primary of the H-V transformer, shows
the relationship of total "forward" going power, vs. "reflected"
going power.  Since I employ the use of a high current
continuously variable inductance, while the coil is energized,
I can adjust load voltage and series inductance, and observe
the readings on the two separate kilowatt meters.  It is possible
to adjust the autotransformer settings such that the load side
of the controller shows a considerably lower KW reading, then
is shown on the a.c. mains meter.  Under this condition, the load
ammeter will read considerably higher then the a.c. mains
ammeter.  This is reflected (out of proper phase relationship
current.)

In the same manner, when both KW meters read approximately
equal, (both must be peaked,) then looking at the amp meters
shows the lowest (and more or less equal) peak value, and the
Tesla Coil system performance is at its best.  An interesting note:
when the Tesla Coil controller's adjustments have been "peaked",
the load side voltmeter very clearly shows "resonant rise".  This
may be seen as an increase of over 50 volts in that part of the
circuit.

Bill Wysock
Tesla Technology Research