[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Toroid Design

I have been putting off the construction of a new toroid.  My present system
has produced 104" sparks to a grounded rod running at about 7 kva.  This is a
6.0" dia coil with one 5" x 33" dia toroid mounted 10" above the top most
winding.  This toroid provides shielding to protect the top of the coil.
Sitting on top of that is an open aluminum cylinder (made out of roof
flashing) that is 20" in diameter and 14" tall.  On top of that sits the main
5" x 40" toroid.  When I power the system up, sparks start to leave the top
toroid at about 60 % to 70 % of full power and at full power, I get multiple
sparks leaving the main toroid.  I just finished some experiments with my
smaller 3.0" dia coil and was able to add enough toroid so it just breaks out
at full power and produces only one discharge spark at a time.  This
definitley improved the performance and I would like to achieve a similar
performance with the larger coil.

I am thinking about going to a 8" or maybe 10" x 50" toroid to replace the
existing 5" x 40".  I would like comments on this.  I don't want to get it so
large that I can't break it out.

The two existing toroids are made from 5" diameter corrugated black plastic
drain pipe bent into a circle around a .25" thick acrylic disk.  It is then
covered with clear packaging tape then aluminum foil tape.  Does this same
pipe come in larger diameters like 8" or 10"?  I don't think the local
building supply places carry anything larger than 5".  I don't want this thing
to be too heavy.  The coil can't support too much weight.  When I built it, I
thought a 4" x 14" toroid was large.  Pretty funny now.

Ed Sonderman