[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil on TV Science Show.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 11/30/98 2:07:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> << >
>  >Where does one get a copper sphere???
>  >
>  >Xone102308-at-aol-dot-com
>  >

>  try old toilets-- some have copper floats.
>
>   >>
> Try stores like Home Depot, Eagle, etc. they have copper floats for water
> tanks that are seamless and have 1/4" treads into the bottom.  Farm supply
> stores also have these for feed tank systems for animals.
>
> Ed Sonderman

	As posted here recently, McMaster Carr sells various metallic spheres,
at rather ridiculous prices.  One thing they sell at a more reasonable
price is polypropylene floats.  An 8" diameter one is around $15.00.
That thing could be carefully wrapped with aluminum tape, carefully
burnished with a spoon, to make a pretty decent terminal.  I intend to
try this for the next van de Graaf generator I build, and its should
work even better with a TC, which can tolerate more surface roughness.
Also, C&H Sales has an enormous stock of 12" globes (cheap world maps,
that is) for around $4.00 each.  Only problem is the plastic is pretty
thick and they are quite heavy.  Worth giving the same treatment.

Ed