[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Q Factors

Tesla List wrote:

> From: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> John, the internet has not reduced the need for TC Books whatsoever (my
humble
> opinion). The internet gives a tincy wincy piece of the picture. The
internet
> does connect us together in discussions such as this List, but your books
and
> others are very much - needed.
> Bart

Bart,

100% on that one!!!  Books,  (often the older ones from 1850-1950 give the
best
info even if a bit dataed), are a prime source of good data.  The age of raw
impericism was in full swing and authors felt obliged to give concrete
examples,
photographs, diagrams or drawings, explanatory text, and sample problems
associated with what they covered rather than pages of derivational,
theoretical
math followed by some convoluted, multi-leveled quiz.  The math the old
authors
did give was directly usable to engineer or work up approximations for real
world
stuff an often came with a solid dose of caveats warning of where the
equations
broke down.

 My greatest treasures are not my coils, scopes, welders, lathe, or such...
BUT MY
BOOKS.

 The college education is not so much to make you smart, but to get you
used to
knowing where to go and how to gain information which is mission critical and
apply it well.  Hopefully, a true working knowledge will ultimately begin
to abide
in the old post grad once they have dinked around a bit.

Richard Hull, TCBOR