[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap Design

< Thema:	 Re: Rotary Gap Design
 Datum:	28.08.98 13:19:48 CETDST
 From:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla List)
 To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

 Original Poster: teslaman-at-juno-dot-com

 BIG SNIP

 >Certainly slip rings or the equivalent would be necessary - but the
 >voltage drop and power loss would probably be insignificant.  There's only
one way

 second BIG SNIP

   The brushes are made from spring brass wires making contact with brass
 spindles which the discs are mounted to.  This design was used for a
 Tesla Coil having an extended on time for use in a plant culture experiment.
Interesting reading, available from Lindsay publications.

 Hi All,

My two (s)cents:
I donīt think this is the way to go for high power usage. If the brushes are
new and unused the voltage drop probably would be small. But as the grow older
(pretty fast I suspect) the brass will probably start to "junk up" making the
resistance no longer neglicable and this of course would increase heating of
the brushes, etc and work out to a sort of avalange effect. I doubt you could
expect an acceptable life time from such a gap w/o continual maintainance. The
RF power involved just wonīt let this design "really cut it".

colier greets from germany,
Reinhard