[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Vacuum pump for capacitor pumpdown

Hi All:

I'm slowly progressing with the construction of my new extended foil,
rolled poly caps.  The rolling is done, I now just have to complete the
enclosure.  My problem is how to draw the vacuum before backfilling with
oil.  I have a vacuum pump that I can borrow, a rotary vane unit.  The
specs say it should be able to pull a 26" Hg vacuum, although the gauge
only reads 22-23", could be that the fittings just need to be tightened.

Is there a consensus on what degree of vacuum is required for cap pumpdown
prior to oil filling?  Also, I've read descriptions of the pumpdown/fill
procedure, describing how the oil will foam or boil as it is introduced.
Could this be minimized by either heating the oil in a pot on a stove, or
by storing the oil in an evacuated container for some time, to cause
outgassing prior to use?

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA