[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Plastic Pop Bottle SW Caps

From: "Payne, Will E" <will.e.payne-at-lmco-dot-com>

Thanks Jim !  Like my friend Kip, you like to brainstorm outside the
envelope.  A fine habit !

Let me clarify one item, the aluminum foil was REPLACED by liquid
electrolyte, I did not use liquid and aluminum together.  The next night I
graduated to a SS tub with a plastic grid in the bottom.

Your idea about copper sulfate is well taken, I will immediately search for
a cheap source.  Theres a story behind this cheapskate approach to Tesla
Coils and SW capacitors.  The illustrious Kip locally popularized  the Hawg
Fence Antenna, a 1250 MHz antenna with 11 dB gain which costs $3 to make.
It is made from hardware cloth, or here in Georgia, "Hawg Fence Wire".  The
idea was picked up by myself and others, and a series of "Hawg" project
seminars followed, where we would teach folks how to home grow some Hi Tek
Gadget real cheep -n- easy.

My current T Coil investigation are in the Hawg spirit and philosophy, which
is certainly NOT to rule out exotic solutions, only expensive ones !  One
fellow suggested I use heavy plastic bags for a dielectric, and I have
considered plastic pipe as well.  Perhaps its time to present the local
techno-nerds with a  workshop on building the "Hawg Tesla Coil" a small but
effective coil a novice can build for $25.  My original Tesla Coil cost
about that much (SW caps from beer bottles), and thats about what a Hawg
project kit ought to cost.  So, we seek original and exotic ideas, but
mostly CHEAP ideas.

I dont know a lot about electrolyte conductivity, but ion mobility as well
as valence will be important.  However I suspect in our case the major
portion of resistance is contact resistance.  Your sodium idea sure invokes
some wild and hilarious mental images, Kip will love it, as he did some
nuclear physics with liquid lithium.  Plus, sodium is intrinsically cheap.

Will