[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ed sonderman: Regulating Pigs

From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

<<
 Interesting... i fail to see why you need two different steps to regulate the
 current of a pole pig.  Say i get these oven elements do as you say: put a
 bank of
 them in parallel with a tap switch on each of them. then i will put this
 arrangement in series with the leads of the arc welder.  this whole
 arrangement
 will be hooked in series with the primary of the pig.  ok.... If the
resistive
 ballasts regulate the current in steps then what or why do i need an arc
 welder
 hooked in series with it. What happens if i turn the dial of the arc welder
 with
 the ballasts in place set to 22 ohms?  What happens if i just take the arc
 welder
 out of the circuit?

 --
 Cabbott Sanders >>

Cabbott,

Good questions.  You can use only resistive ballast to control a pole
transformer.  The drawback is you drop voltage across the resistive ballast
and thus have less voltage input to the primary of the pig.  And, you would
need more resistance than you would if using both resistive and inductive
ballast.  The benefit of using inductive ballast is it allows you to limit the
current with no voltage drop across the ballast (with a perfect inductor -
acutally you will have some drop across it based on the resistance of the wire
in the ballast).

The set up that I currently use has evolved over a two year time frame.  It
seems to be the best combination to maximize the performance of my coil.  As I
commented on another post, I currently use a 5,000 watt light dimmer for
inductive ballast with 3.2 ohms of resistance in series.  Some folks use
inductive ballast only but most have some resistance either in series or
parallel with the inductive ballast.

Ed Sonderman