and.. I think what whoever it was was making is little balls of copper
particles that are burning, which would account for the long lifetime.
Nobody has shown any convincing math that would account for long
(seconds) lifetimes for a small ball of plasma. It just cools too fast,
and there isn't enough mass there.  However, if there was some solid
there, either to burn or to provide a "hot mass" reservoir of energy.

Pulling arcs off a copper or steel bar seems a good way to get little
globs of molten metal which would skitter over water just like water on
a hot griddle.

The Corums seem to have had good luck making ball lightning by combining
a carbon rich source of gas (e.g. a flame) and a discharge (either TC or
open unterminated 1/4 wave transmission line).