[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"Slinky" Primary / Sloped Archimedes Spiral Primary Equation

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, August 23, 1998 11:31 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: "Slinky" Primary / Sloped Archimedes Spiral Primary   Equation

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

John and all,

Sorry for the delay in responding - I just got back into town.

While it is true that the primary inductance doesn't change dramatically
as you increase the angle from 0 to 45 degrees, the mutual inductance
between the primary and secondary will increase significantly (50-75%),
all other things being the same.

Now, if a given system is empirically determined to run optimally at a k
of say 0.18 due to insulation withstand and gap quenching
considerations, a primary coil constructed in ANY of the three
configurations, when wound with the same materials and having the
identical primary inductance will provide virtually identical
performance when adjusted to have the same k. However, since the pancake
coil may be the easiest to construct, while also providing maximum
toroid:primary distance, it's the winner in my coil-building book - I
agree with your conclusion.

-- Bert --