[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary Formers

----------
From:  Mark Finnis [SMTP:mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au]
Sent:  Monday, August 24, 1998 4:18 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Secondary Formers

At 11:26 PM 23/08/98 -0500, Bert Pool wrote:

>Mark, you have a *very* nice looking coil!

Coming from someone like Bert, I have to confess this brought a smile to my
face ;-)

>And the poly pipe will make a superb
>coil form for your next coil.  With poly, I would not be concerned with wall
>thickness at all - except for the weight.  BTW, how much does this piece
>weigh?

Haven't weighed it per se, but I sure as hell notice when I pick it up
..... its heavy !

For general information to the list, this is how I found it .....

Looked for plastic pipe manufacturers & found someone who actually makes
pipe (not a distribution yard).  This company makes the stuff from 200mm
(8") up to 3 meters diameter (10 feet !!) in 10m lengths.  They only sell
by the full length, which for the 280mm pipe I got is $2500 (or about
$1500US).

Asked about yard off-cuts, answer that they grind all left-overs up and use
for further manufacture.

NOW, asked "who buys a lot of this in the 300mm diameter range".  Found a
company which does plumbing for mining installations ....... "hell yes, we
have all number of off-cuts.  Couldn't charge you what its worth, just come
to the yard and select what you want.  $20 a piece is probably all we could
ask".

And as they say ..... the rest is history ;-)

They had about 20-30 pieces which would be suitable for TC use.  I had a
hard time deciding between the 280mm (11") and a good length of 370mm (14.5").

I "whimped-out" on the 11" because I think I need to break the wife in
gently, and I plan on playing with TCs for quite some time  ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

Tesla Page <http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis>