[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?I=B4m_puzzled_about_your_MOTS?=

----------
From:  RWB355-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:RWB355-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, August 21, 1998 11:49 PM
To:  fwd
Subject:  Re: Iīm puzzled about your MOTS

To:	Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net]

Hi Greg, ( I couldnīt reach you at your email adresse, so I have to do it over
 the Telsa list)

 I live in Germany. I canīt really tell you from what microwave oven I pulled
 the MOT.
I just found it in a dumpster and not having a MWO at home and being
 technically interested, I put the thing in my car and took it apart at home.
 The MOT is a 2.3kV-at-700mA unit. It has no magnetic shunts at all. It did have a
 soft start circuit in the primary, which I stripped for parts usage. As far as
 I could see, however, it only limited the startup current, not the running
 current. I rigged the MOT up on a Jacobbīs ladder and measured the primary
 current. It was about 18 Amps -at-220V. 2.3kV-at-700mA=1610Watt, which means about
 7.5Amps at 220V. So obviously, this transformer isnīt shunted. The xformer got
 slightly warm (but you could still touch it) after about 2min of operation. I
 could pull a standing arc apart aprox. 3 inches before it cut off.
So, I still canīt understand how the guy could pull his 5 MOT setup to 18"
 before it cut off. An experiment with a power supply of 10kV-at-100(!!) amps
 yielded a spark length of no more than 36" before cutting the flame off. I
 doubt the MOTS would be able to supply 30 to 40 amps nec. for the 18" spark
 length.
I never tried your idea of connecting a DMM (and shorting the hv secondary of
 the MOT). My DMM was too expensive for this. (DMM/DSO combi + aux inputs for
 rpm,air pressure, temp, cap, induc, etc.)

Sorry I couldnīt be of more help,

Reinhard