[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Glass Capacitors

----------
From:  RWB355-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:RWB355-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, August 22, 1998 12:41 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Glass Capacitors

Hi Keith,

I never tried a glass cap on a 5kVa setup, but forget it. Glass is so crummy
 that it wouldnīt stand up to that load very long (talking under 60 secs and
 probably more like under 30 secs). I tried some glas caps a while ago on a
 15kv/30ma setup and a lot of the sheets cracked. Besides this type of cap is
 really lossy and you WILL have big problems with corona discharge,etc.
My suggestion would be (if you donīt wanna buy) make an air cap (good, but
 big. advantage: you can simply short out some of the plates to vary your
 capitance) or build an oil cap (rolled or stacked) with poly and aluminum. I
 think the rolled has some advantages when it comes to sizes (smaller)

coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard