[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Plastic Bottle SW caps ?

----------
From:  Mad Coiler [SMTP:tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, August 21, 1998 5:27 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Plastic Bottle SW caps ?

----------

I used a bunch of Mountain Dew Quick Slam bottles in my first TC. It was
incredibly poor but worked. Using two OBIT's I could get about 9"
sparks. Lately, with hockey puck caps and a new RQ spark gap I have
attained 29" sparks from it. The one problem is that even at only 10kV
the thicknes of the walls of the bottles arent enough to hold off the
voltage. I had two banks of bottles in series, I belive like 6 bottles
in each bank. I dont remember for sure but I think it was overall around
.006 uF. I would recomend if you want to build a dirt cheap capacitor
that you may want to try glass bottles.

Tristan Stewart