[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 5:13 PM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  RE: sparks for cheap

John,

Did you isolate the HV leads from the cores on your "outboard" xfmrs, or run them "as is".  I have an identical pair of 900w MOTs that generate 2250vac each.  I'd like to wire up 4 of them for 9kv.  On my xfmrs, one HV lead is connected to the core, and the other ends at a ceramic insulated spade terminal.  I'm wondering if I should clip the HV lead loose from the core of the "outboard" units and insulate them before wiring them in series.  Otherwise, the 2250vac output of the "inboard" units would be tied directly to the cores of the "outboard" units--a very odd arrangement.  Any advice?

Greg

Sleepy Hollow

Mike, all,

In the past, I've wired 4 MOT's with secondaries in series and obtained
64" sparks.  Some corona-sparkling could be seen between the core
and winding on the "outboard" MOT's however, but they held.  The
system used a non-sync rotary gap, and a .08uF cap.  Without ballasting,
the TC drew about 6kVA.  With ballasting, this was cut back to about
4kVA, spark lengths were the same in either case.

John Freau