[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Results of new single static gap

----------
From:  Gary Lau  19-Aug-1998 0939 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 8:59 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Results of new single static gap

From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
>> With this gap I have achieved a new personal best - 51".  Previously I
>> had been using a 10 x .03" fan cooled RQ-style gap, achieving 42".  Power
>> supply is 15kV/60 mA NST, 4.25" x 23" #22AWG secondary, two stacked
>> toroids- 4.5" x 15.5" plus 6" x 24". >snip

>> Gary Lau >>

>Gary,
>
>Nice results.  Did you happen to observe the quenching and break
>rate compared with the old set-up?
>
>John Freau

Not yet, soon though.  BTW, I erred in my description of my multi-gap.
It should have read 12 x .03" (not 10 x).

I readjusted my single gap to match the total gap of my multi-gap, 0.36".
This eliminated the startup problem, made me feel much safer, plus,
resulted in the identical 51" performance.

I want to go back to my 12x.03" gap and just make sure it still gives the
same 42" performance, then I'll take comparative quench measurements.

Then I want to build a new single gap that concentrates the airflow over
a smaller firing zone, just to see if single-gap quenching can be
improved with overwhelming airflow.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA