[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measurement Techniques

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 10:50 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Measurement Techniques

Hi All,
        I though I would mention that my field probes are made "nicely" to
help the rather precise and high speed (100MHz) measurements I take.
However, only the resistive and capacitive loading on the antennas is really
important.  any "roughly close" component values will work.  Standard leaded
components won't hurt the readings very much.  Don't be intimidated by the
etched boards and such.  A very rough design of aluminum foil and cardboard
will give excellent results.  Any precision can be ignored for simple quench
measurements and such.  Of course, only one antenna is really needed for
such work.  Indeed, the original was a two way "CB" antenna with a 50 ohm
load resistor in parallel with the scope input.  This gives far better
results than hanging a wire off the scope by many orders of magnitude.

        Terry Fritz