[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Jargon? and Pancake Secondary?

----------
From:  Steven Ivy [SMTP:adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 9:49 AM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  Tesla Jargon? and Pancake Secondary?

Hey all you coilers out there. I am new to this list and this is my
first post so I hope I am not breaching any etiquette posting this
letter this way. My first question has to do with all the acronymns
and Tesla coil jargon in most of your posts. I don't follow a lot of
what you guys are talking about. I am fairly familiar with all the
normal electrical engineering terms but some of the high power
transformer terms and spark gap lingo are new to me. Is there a FAQ
somewhere where a lot of this stuff is covered? Examples of what I am
talking about are the acronymns NST and RSG and God knows what else. I
would really benefit greatly from the schematics or written
descriptions of the common variations on the basic T.C. topology which
I am pretty familiar with. That is any circuit other than the normal
(Power supply, parallel cap, series spark gap, parallel primary  ,
coupling coef. K, secondary with distributed and lumped terminal
capacitances in series). Also a useful SPICE model of some of these
circuits would be really nice.

Also does has anyone seen or made a T.C. with both a pancake primary
and a pancake secondary? I think it would look really neat and it
should be easy to adjust the coupling coefficient by either changing
the distance between the primary and secondary pancakes or by
adjusting the angle between them or even by inserting or removing a
piece of dielectric between them? This last method might also work to
adjust he coupling in a standard shaped T.C. if a dielectric cylinder
was raised and lowered into the gap between primary and secondary.

Feedback please :)

Thanks: adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com