[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary field strength

----------
From:  chris.swinson [SMTP:chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk]
Sent:  Sunday, August 16, 1998 3:48 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Primary field strength

Hi all,

Thanks to all who set me straight on BTW, Rather good really.

Right, thanks to Bert for you input :-)

I'll try to explain myself a little better this time.

I took off my 36" secondary and just had the primary on its own.  My
capacitor was taken out as well.  I have 2 caps, One 11.45nF, and ther other
6.4nF.  Does not matter which for this experiment.  Mind you people could
argue over my testing of this but I thinks its a good way to do it....

Right I have a spark gap, a RQ type ( Yes I know :-) ), My First test was
set for 5 gaps.  Thats about 5mm.  The NST just got across them all and as
expected they were week febble purple sparks.

I wanted to test how big the field strengh was to see if I could get away
with a larger secondary coil.  My old coil was 24" in hight, and my new one
was 36" in hight, so I just wondered how much bigger I could make it.

I got hold of a "wire finder" , you know, those hand held things which allow
you to trace wires in walls.  Well you get the idea.

I set the sensitivity so that I could get it right next to the primary
 not turned on ) without it beeping.  As It got near the coil ( only about
1/4" ) it beebed.  So I set it to about that.

I then turn on my NST, When the Wire finder ( WF ) got near the primary it
sounded.  I then moved slowly straight up to see how far the filed would go.
At about 40" the thing stopped sounding.  So I now knew that I could just
get away with a 40" secondary.

I then added a cap ( don't matter which one ) and set the gap to 1mm.  note
I did not have the secondary connected in ANY test.

As expected there was bright flash's across the gap.  I put the WF next to
the primary and it sounded, I moved up, Still sounding, I moved up more,
Still sounding.  I went into another room, Still sounding, Well you get the
idea.

so if the field is that big, I could easily make a 200" secondary, as it
appears the field is huge when the caps are included.  Ok, I could not do
this as I only have 80" hight in my room.  But you see what I'm getting at.

This was only 1 gap as well, If I used all 5 gaps , the field would probably
go 100's of yards away.  So what stopping me from building a bigger
secondary ?

The only limit I see is the ringing of the coil.  The field would get
smaller and smaller as the charge in the cap would decrease.

It looks like to me, The secondary used the RMS power of the primary, You
could ( to me ) build a coil 200" high, but as the power is dropping the
secondary would not respond to the last half of the charge cycle in the cap
( did that make sence ).

So Even though I'd still be pulsing the secondary at say 500Khz, it would
only pulse it for 50% of the time as it would be out of range when the power
dropped.  To me this wouln't matter as you'd still appear to get constant
sparks even though the coil would miss 50% of the resonant cycle.  This is
only my opinion of this, I'm not saying its true at all.

Thats why I'm asking you lot to see what you think.

All the beST,
Chris.

chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk
www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mega01/    <--- moved site to...