[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The GE Xray caps.... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:45:51 -0400
From: "Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D." <msr7-at-po.cwru.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: The GE Xray caps.... (fwd)

Hello All:
Dr. Resonance said:
>> For the record, most of GE's X-Ray caps are manufactured by Plastic
>> Capacitors, Inc., in Chicago, IL.   We carry them in stock and derate them
>> for Tesla coil service to 50 kV.  Value is .01 MFD with 1/4 inch stud
        Plastic Caps makes several series of capacitors.  The LK prefix
series are mylar/kraft paper oil impregnated units.  The G.E. surplus ones
are LK models .01 uF at 80 kV DC.  They are great for high voltage
experiments but disappointing for tesla coil use.
        Plastic Caps also makes a couple of pulse discharge caps (BNZ
prefix), which are suitable for tesla coil use.  I have a pair of .01's and
am satisfied with them.  The studs could be larger and the internal
resistance is little higher than I would like, but they perform okay.  I
think they also make a .05 uF unit in the BNZ series.  They are a bit
expensive, like all good things.

Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.