[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: breaking in caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:04:31 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: breaking in caps (fwd)

Jeff,
No one ever said you couldn't just throw a TC capacitor together and
fire it up immediately and have it *work*.

But if you desire to protect your investment and have it run for as long
as possible, it is imperative that all air be excluded. All it takes
is one air bubble to allow a localized corona to develop, and believe
me, the corona will *eventually* degrade the poly to the point that
the insulation will fail. The degradation is cumulative.

Sometimes I just need a quickie capacitor for some experiment, such as
tweaking the value of an existing cap so I can achieve proper
resonance without having to make my primary coil larger, and I just
cobble something together from scraps. I might not even use any oil.
And it always works! But I KNOW that it is (as Malcolm put it so
succinctly) doomed to fail.

Is it worth it to make TC caps that will last quite a bit longer
than ones that are just cobbled together? Yes.

Are there times when all we want is for the darn thing to work *now*,
and our attitude is "damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!!"?? You bet.

Wisdom is knowing when to cobble and when to be patient and go the
extra mile to make the thing bulletproof.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee