[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High-Bandwidth Primary Circuit Behavior (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:17:42 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: High-Bandwidth Primary Circuit Behavior

Hi All,
        I have been spending most of my time looking at primary circuits with
my probe system.  As a result, I have written another paper that addresses
the following:

   1.  The instant before the gap fires, disturbances can be seen which
indicate the initial phases of ionization and firing of the gap.

   2.  The gap fires with a very intense initial current spike. This spike
is believed to be on the order of 4000 amperes in my test system.

   3.  During the firing cycle, the gap appears to be turning off at the
zero current crossings. The gap only re-fires when the voltage and current
levels are high enough to once again support the arc.

   4.  The lose of the arc at the zero crossings results in heavy current
ringing which seems to be related to the self capacitance of the primary coil
and the inductance of the primary circuit wiring.

   5.  This phenomenon of the gap turning off at the zero current crossings
is probably responsible for the linear decrement waves common to RLC spark
gap circuits.

   6.  The effect of poor primary wiring and how it may affect primary
circuit efficiency is examined.

   7.  A model of this theory of spark gap behavior is suggested.

The HTML and the original Word97 documents are at:

  http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html

Sorry about the large files but I wanted to get all the fine details in
the scope pictures and such.

Hopefully, this paper will explain what is going on.  There are a few loose
ends but I think the basics are there.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped out with suggestions and ideas.

        Terry

Comments are very welcome.

	terryf-at-peakpeak-dot-com
or