[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: ElectroMagnetic Compatibility and Tesla coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:05:22 -0700
From: Michael Baumann <baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: ElectroMagnetic Compatibility and Tesla coils (fwd)

Purely observed, but for your information:
My 360VA 3.5" coil will cause the following during operation:
My modem will disconnect [phone lines run directly over the area where I
fire my coil]
my 900Mhz phone becomes unusable during the run.
on one occasion, I had my alarm system (900Mhz wireless) get confused. Just
took a press of the "self-test" button to clear it.
This coil runs at about 490Khz

My 6.25" coil at 720VA on the otherhand:
introduces mild interference on my 900Mhz line.
Causes extreme complaints about the noise from my wire (3' long arcs are so
much louder :) ]
and that's about it.
This coil runs somewhere around 220Khz (guestimated)

 Both light up my "Bud light" [4' flourescent] about 6 ft away (granted the
6"
does a much better job)

My Garage door opener still works fine, despite a couple of direct strikes
(oops)
My Pager and PalmPilot have survived on my hip (I forget I was wearing them)
even when I was getting zapped by my Variac due to the charge on my body.

Mind you, I don't go out of my way to do this.. but I've been very lucky so
far.

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical
Center