[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: indoor coiling (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:01:29 -0500
From: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-mn.uswest-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: indoor coiling (fwd)

Hey Michael,
glad to see your fired up! Coiling is fun and technically challenging. The best
way to get the answers you seek is to ask specific questions related to the
aspects of the project your working on. I wouldn't try to take in too much too
fast, but definately ask the questions. I would also agree with Bruce's post
regarding Ed Sonderman's Excel spreadsheet found at  www.pupman-dot-com .

Ed has done a fantastic job with this spreadsheet. It is very easy to use and
really give's you a good look at what you can expect in your coil design. Ed's
equations cover most aspects of the coil design including Medhurst and Wheeler
equations, and most of all, it strengthens your understanding of how the physical
components and geometric dimentions all play a role in the overall design. I used
it on my coil design, and last night, I was able to give a little show for a
couple. The look on their faces alone is worth every penny when they see those hot
blue and white arcs protruding out of the coil in all directions and hear the
amonous roar and thunderous cracks of the rotary sparkgap. FYI - an RF ground
makes a world of difference. Don't compremise if you don't have too "Be-gats!,
what a difference".

Have fun, be careful, be smart.
|_Bart_|