[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PE covered secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:18:45 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: PE covered secondary

On Monday, April 20, 1998 7:32 PM Dan
[SMTP:Boombast99-at-aol-dot-com] wrote;

> Why couldn't you just cover a PVC secondary with 30mil PE (2 layers) and hot
> melt glue the PE to the PVC instead of all the time consuming coatings with
> various varnishes...........?

The varnishes provide two functions; firstly it fixes the position of the
wire and prevents it from unravelling off the PVC tube. Secondly it
increases the dielectric strength between windings and thus decreases
coronal losses. Applying Polyethylene in the manner you described would not
supply either of these conditions! Perhaps if one could shrink wrap the
coil in Polyethylene film it may work, but that would seem to be more
difficult than painting the coil with a varnish.

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/