[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid connection (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 06:33:56 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Toroid connection

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Jim,

It sounds like you have a relatively small toroid versus coil diameter
and you may also have excessive space between the top of the winding and
the toroid. Try lowering the toroid. Virtually anything can be used as a
spacer - I use 2" diameter PVC and pipe end-caps. The connecting wire
should loop around the toroid support with enough slack to easily
attach/detatch the wire to the toroid. The wire should not extend beyond
the radius of the coil.

In addition to providing capacitance, the toroid provides critically
important electrostatic field shaping to prevent corona from the top of
your coil's winding. A properly sized toroid should be at least 2-3X the
coil diameter. The height is not very critical, but is usually not more
than [0.5 - 1.0 X coilform diameter] from the top of the winding to the
horizontal centerline of the toroid - larger diameter toroids can be
placed higher and still provide adequate shielding for the winding below
as well as greater distance to the primary and strikerail below. Less
distance provides better coilform shielding, and will only slightly
reduce the topload capacitance of the toroid.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --