[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

40MHz Spark Gap Behavior

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, April 20, 1998 1:20 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 40MHz Spark Gap Behavior

  Mike-

  You are on the right tract. The differences between power and energy
confuses many people. Energy is a QUANTITY of electricity and power is the
RATE of using the energy or joules per second.

  Power is in watts or joules devided by time
       1000 watts = 10 joules / .01 seconds

   Energy is in joules or watts times time
        10 joules = 1000 watts times .01 seconds

  Confusion over power and energy is what creates over unity energy.

  Also, confusion over the average input energy (input meters) versus the
instantaneous output energy (spark length) is what creates an incorrect
rating of a Tesla coil.

  Tesla wanted to use the ionosphere instead of wires to transmit electrical
energy around the world. This requires ultra high voltages and microamps of
current (the natural lightning system). With microamps of current and a vast
volume of conductor (ionosphere) the line losses would be negligible. Tesla
apparenly never solved the problem of getting from the earth's surface to
the ionosphere although he said he had the answer (his incorrectly called
death rays???).

    John Couture