[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

4" system optimization

----------
From:  Christopher Stone [SMTP:Chris.Stone-at-etak-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, April 20, 1998 8:51 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  4" system optimization

Last weekend I did some more testing of my system with these specs:
4"x21" Secondary
15 turn 1/4" tubing primary 30 deg conical
9kv 30Ma NST
1.75"x12" toroid
.005 mFd rolled poly cap.

Up to this point we were never able to get breakout without an
object or grounded wire to pull sparks off.  We still did not
get any until we added 8 bottle caps (~.004 mFd) to the rolled
cap and tapped at turn 10.  Then we were able to get 6-7" breakout
all around the toroid!  I added another toroid about the same size
and we got no sparks.  I forgot to add a point to see if that would
help with the other toroid because it was getting late.  I guess if
I have learned anything to this point it is that having the capacitor
the right value is critical to performance.  I also noticed that the
spark output was the same length with the same cap. value between
salt water bottle caps and the rolled poly, but that the spark was
much whiter and hotter with the rolled poly cap.  Now all I need is more
caps and a bigger NST.

Chris