[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Superdialectrics?

----------
From:  Scott Cutler [SMTP:spcutler-at-ucdavis.edu]
Sent:  Monday, April 20, 1998 5:39 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Superdialectrics?

I'm taking a materials science course in college now, and one thing we're going over is superconductors.  Also, I've noticed that there is a general correspondence between losses and the dialectric constant of certain materials.  Someone on this list mentioned that this is because of polar molecules that cause friction when aligning.
That got me to thinking- are there such things as "superdialectrics"?  That is, are there materials, where at a certain temperature, the molecules lose all resistance to aligning, and hence, no losses?  You could then use a material with an insane dialectric constant, 60-80 maybe.
Any ideas?

Scott Cutler