[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help modifying a variac?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, April 12, 1998 10:50 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Help modifying a variac?

to: Bart

Clamp it as tight as possible and put gobs of epoxy with a 1/2 inch overlap
all around.  The tighter you clamp the core ends to the mylar spacer
(usually 0.0625 to 0.100 inch) and keep the void very tight the less 60 Hz
humming you will get.  It works great -- we used a lot of them wound with
10 AWG wire -- the peak instataneous currents will quickly overheat the
windings if using 12 AWG with a 10 kva xmfr.  Use 8 or 10 AWG and a small
blower if running longer than 60 seconds per blast.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net