[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resistance of a pole pig

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, April 07, 1998 2:35 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Resistance of a pole pig

> >Erik

Gary's explanation (repeate below) is great. You could measure the
temperature rise of the windings by measuring the DC resistance of the HV
winding. Measure the resistance cold. Short the output, put power to it
with a variac of suitable rating (many tens of kVA for your transformer)
for a SHORT time. Disconnect the power, measure the resistance. Knowing the
temperature coefficient of copper, you can figure the temperature. Do this
at a few settings. Also, see how fast it cools down to room temperature
again. From all this you can calculate the time constant.

Then, all you'll need to know is a reasonable max temperature for the
windings. 80 degrees C would be a nice conservative number.