[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

secondary wire

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, April 07, 1998 2:41 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  secondary wire

"
Maybe a stupid question, but here goes.
We have a couple of thousand feet of #22 insulated stranded copper wire
that we were considering using to wind a new secondary.  Is this an ok
idea, or is stranded wire detrimental to the efficiency of the coil, or
enough so to make it undesirable to use?"

	In my opinion it would work fine, considering that the inductance
for a given secondary length will be lowered by the turn-to-turn
spacing caused by the insulation.  Sure someone else will disagree,
but if I had the wire and the form I'd wind up a coil and see.

Ed