[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY Ball Lightning

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, April 06, 1998 4:04 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: DIY Ball Lightning

On Saturday, April 04, 1998 6:40 PM John H. Couture
[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net] wrote;

>   Mike -
>
>   You are correct. Those fireballs are probably not plasma (ionized gas). It
> apparently takes a very special combination of parameters and a lot of
> wattage to create a real plasma fireball.
>
>   Several years ago I was testing some electrical switchgear when a fault
> occured and a basketball size plasma sphere was formed. The sphere was a
> blinding white color and there was no residue left like I had seen with
> arcing. It was a completely different electrical phonomenon compared to an
> arc. The power source was a 750 KVA transformer close by so there was plenty
> of short circuit current available.
>
>  I believe this large plasma sphere occurred because of the special ground
> fault interrupter system which operated much quicker compared to the usual
> circuit protection. In other words if you want to make a large plasma
> fireball you need a large transformer and a very fast interruption of the
> circuit when it is shorted. Very little energy is created (wattage x time)
> so there is no damage as with arcing. Only ionization of the air into a
> sphere of plasma occurs.

John, I'm not so sure that a transformer is needed. I rem,ember reading
Golks's notes (I knowe he is not the most treust worthy source) where he
said that he generatet small (apx. 3 inch) plasma balls using a bank of
submarine batteries amd standard sub switch gear, what ever that is. But I
have heard similar reports from G.Is that were on the old subs. I'll look
for Golka's notes on that and post a copy here when I find it.

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/